Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brandon Flowers Not So Pretty

I will start out by saying that I am NOT bashing this album. I do have respect for Brandon Flowers as an artist and as the lead singer of The Killers, but his attempt to go solo, in my opinion, is a shot in the dark.

After hearing the album several times I realized that Flowers is not what you’d call a failure as a solo artist but somewhat “bland.” I don’t think he strays far enough away from his roots as “The Killers” to go off as “Brandon Flowers” and not be compared to his original band. I found myself listening and thinking to myself that I would just rather be listening to a Killers album. That this was just a lame version of them. I also wasn’t impressed with the female vocalist he added in for his song “Hard Enough.” It was a good song that was ruined for me.

I think if you are going to go from lead singer of a band to solo artist you have to make a point of being different enough to make a statement away from one you’ve already made as a band. For example Dustin Kensrue, lead singer of Thrice, makes a brand new statement as “Dustin Kensrue” after already making a outstanding musical impact as “Thrice.” Kensrue and Thrice are completely different as far as sound, production, and genre. Personally, both are on my list of top 20 artists/bands to listen to.

Like I said before, I am not bashing Brandon Flowers album. If I were to recommend songs off the album I would say the best 2 songs are “Only the Young”, and “Hard Enough.”

No comments:

Post a Comment