Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hope and Goosebumps

There are moments when I question whether the music industry has completely gone down the drain, then something reminds me that it's not all lost. This time it was Adele. Her new album "21" was released recently, sold 352,000, and kicked Justin Bieber down from the number one Billboard charts. There is no question that it was well deserved either.

This album, as was the last, is the epitome of true musical talent. I think you have to give major credit to artists these days who are real in their music-making. Her vocals are outstanding and her lyrics are honest and true. With my attention span, as well as many other listeners, it's hard to sit through an entire 13 song album without getting bored or moving on. This album defies that. I found myself excited for every next song to come. Each song has a different feel, and there is no specific mood to the cd because each song changes it up. I love this. In a lengthier cd I think it's crucial to change up the mood.

With that said, there is no specific mood, but there is one theme and that is love. Each song has such honest lyrics and gets you thinking about all sides and aspects of being in love, losing love, getting over love, and wanting love. This is something most of us can relate to, so you find yourself lost in her lyrics as you would a fantastic novel.

Adele's album "21" captures soul, blues, and a bit a funk("I'll Be Waiting"). She has some acoustic tracks, lots of piano, a choir to add that soul, and closes the cd with an amazing live version on "Rolling In The Deep." If that isn't all fabulous enough she also adds in a cover of "Love Song." The best cover that's been done since The Cure, in my opinion.

My personal favorites from the cd are:

Track 1 "Rolling In The Deep"

Track 3 "Turning Tables"

Track 5 "Set Fire To The Rain"

Track 10 "Love Song"


Adele is one of those artists we can count on being around for a long time. I continuously search for that music that gives me goosebumps, and it's rare. To find a whole album that does so...I am in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment