Sunday, October 30, 2011

Strategic or Stubborn?


What does it mean when your favorite artist’s music doesn’t show up in your streaming programs? Well, in Coldplay’s case it means they are holding out on you so you will go the more traditional route and buy their album. It’s hard to say whether it’s a strategic move as far as sales go, or a stubborn move in an attempt to go against the new way of obtaining music.

Coldplay recently released their new album “Mylo Xyloto” and have withheld from sharing any of it with subscription streaming services such as Spotify. I have just recently become a user of Spotify and I can honestly say if my favorite artist’s music wasn’t available to stream I would buy it. This makes me think that Coldplay’s strategy is quite smart, but there is another angle to consider here. Times have changed and music is becoming easier and easier to obtain for free. As a musician you have to realize if you make quality music, it doesn’t matter if your music is out there for free, people will buy it.

I also think this strategy is one that can only be used by certain artists. Coldplay is big enough to get away with this and come out on top. Other artists would just be shooting themselves in the foot. If you are a smaller artist and looking to get your name our there, I think streaming sites are your best friend. Although this strategy is working for Coldplay now, if people aren’t impressed with this new album and feel they have wasted their money it may not work out so well next time.

I actually haven’t listened to “Mylo Xyloto” myself but I will be doing so and giving my review in my next blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment