Friday, January 6, 2012

Physical VS. Digital Sales


I was very surprised when I read an article the other day about physical album sales. Apparently we won’t be saying goodbye to CDs any time soon. According to Neilson Soundscan’s 2011 breakdown two-thirds of all albums purchased in the United States are still CDs. 67.6 percent of albums sold last year were CDs!


I have to say I am kind of shocked and it was a bit ironic I came across this article when I did. I am currently in the process of moving and have been so irritated by the presence of CDs and CD cases popping up everywhere. For the longest time I have been so gung-ho about going out and purchasing those albums that are worth it. Although I still feel this way, packing all these CDs away got me thinking about the evolution of the way we listen to music.

The convenience of buying and listening to music has made me become somewhat annoyed with CDs. As I was packing them away and finding cases with no CDs and CDs with no cases I started to wonder if CDs will ever have the sentimental value that vinyl had. Will we still purchase CD players years down the line to listen to those old tunes we used to love or will we just scroll through our IPods? We have record players today so we can get that old record player sound we grew up with. What value does the CD hold, if any? If you ask me I would say the CD will fall in the same place that tapes did. The trash.

All that considered, I think it is positive news to know that so many people still care to have something physical to hold on to when it comes to their music. Although I did end up throwing away a lot of my old CDs, I did find it important to hold on the music that meant the most to me. At least for now.




References:

No comments:

Post a Comment